After a Name Change

Ver esta página en español

Changing Identification and Records

To complete your name change, you'll need to tell others about it. Contact the people and institutions you deal with and ask what type of documentation they require to make your name change official in their records. Different institutions may have very different rules, and some may require special forms or a certified copy of the Name Change Decree.

It's generally recommended that you first acquire a driver's license, then a Social Security card in your new name. Once you have those pieces of identification, it is fairly simple to acquire others or have records changed to reflect your new name.

Finally, remember to change your name on other important legal papers. For example, powers of attorney, living wills, trusts, and contracts.


Who to Notify

Here are some of the people and institutions to notify of your name change:

  • Friends and family
  • Employers
  • Schools
  • Post Office
  • Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Social Security Administration
  • Department of Records or Vital Statistics (issuers of birth certificates)
  • Banks and Financial Institutions
  • Creditors and Debtors
  • Telephone and Utility Companies
  • State Taxing Authority
  • Insurance Agencies
  • Registrar of Voters
  • Passport Office
  • Public Assistance (welfare) Office
  • Veterans Administration