How do I implement my name change?
Whether you have changed your name by usage or by court order, the most important part of accomplishing your name change is to let others know you've taken a new name. Although it may take a little time to contact government agencies and businesses, don't be intimidated by the task as it's a common procedure. The practical steps of implementing a name change are:
- Advise officials and businesses. Contact the various government and business agencies with which you deal and have your name changed on their records.
- Enlist help of family and friends. Tell your friends and family that you've changed your name and you now want them to use only your new one. It may take those close to you a while to get used to associating you with a new sound. Some of them might even object to using the new name, perhaps fearing the person they know so well is becoming someone else. Be patient and persistent.
- Use only your new name. If you are employed or in school, go by your new name there. Introduce yourself to new acquaintances and business contacts with your new name.

Show All Answers

1. Who else do I need to inform if I change my name?
2. What state law governs Name Changes in Illinois?
3. I just don't like my birth name and I want to change it. Can I choose any name I want?
4. Do I have to file forms in court to change my birth name?
5. How do I implement my name change?
6. I'm a woman who is planning to be married soon. Do I have to take my husband's name?
7. Can my husband and I both change our names to a hyphenated version of our two names or to a brand new name?
8. What if I do want to take my husband's name? How do I make the change?
9. I took my husband's name when I married, but now we're getting divorced and I'd like to return to my former name. How do I do that?
10. After my husband and I are divorced and I return to my former name, can I change the last name of my children as well?