What can I do to resolve my problem with out going to small claims court?
If you want what's owed to you, but you don't want to take on the trouble of bringing a lawsuit, you have a couple of options to consider. First, even if you've been rudely turned down in the past, ask for your money at least once more. This time, make your demand in the form of a straightforward letter, concluding with the statement that you'll file in small claims court in fourteen days unless payment is promptly received. Unlike a conversation, where the other party may assume you'll never follow up, a demand letter is like a slap in the face that lets the person know you're serious about getting paid. Because many individuals and small business people have a strong aversion to the idea of a public trial (including the time and inconvenience), making it clear you are prepared to file a lawsuit can be an effective catalyst to getting the other party to talk settlement.

Show All Answers

1. Can any kind of case be resolved in small claims court?
2. Are there time limits in which a small claims court case must be filed?
3. How much can I sue for in small claims court?
4. Where should I file my small claims lawsuit?
5. What can I do to resolve my problem with out going to small claims court?
6. Will I get paid if I win the lawsuit?
7. If I'm sued in small claims court but the other party is really at fault, can I countersue?
8. What should I do to prepare my small claims case?
9. What's the best way to present my case to a judge?
10. Can I bring a lawyer to small claims court?
11. Will my witnesses need to testify in person in small claims court?
12. If I lose my case in small claims court, can I appeal?