Resources and Locations for Information
RESOURCES AND LOCATIONS FOR INFORMATION
The following is a list of locations where forms and samples can be found:
1. The Clerk of the Circuit Court (commonly called the Clerk’s office) - 18 North County Street, Waukegan, Illinois 60085. The Clerk’s office is located in the basement of this building at the southernmost part of the building, adjacent to Washington Street. The Clerk’s phone number is (847) 377-3380. The Clerk’s Office is open Monday through Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and is closed on most federal holidays. Information about the Clerk’s Office can be located online at www.lakecountycircuitclerk.org
2. Law Library - 18 North County Street, Waukegan, Illinois 60085. The Law Library is located in the northwestern area of the first floor of the courthouse. The Law Library’s phone number is (847) 377-2800. It is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and is closed on most federal holidays. Information about the Law Library can be located on line at http://www.19thcircuitcourt.state.il.us/1259/Law-Library
3. The Website - Forms can also be found at the following website:
4. Court Administration: This office is located on the 1st floor between Courtrooms C-105 and C-107. Most of the family law courtrooms are located on the first floor of the main courthouse. The Court Administration phone number is (847) 377-3600. The Courthouse is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and is closed on most federal holidays.
Information about the Courthouse and the court system can be found on line at www.19thcircuitcourt.state.il.us/default.aspx.
5. Lawyer Referral Service: Lake County Bar Association, at 300A Grand Avenue, Waukegan, Illinois, on line at http://www.lakecountylawyer.info/ or you may call (847) 244-3143.
6. Kids Korner: Children are not allowed in the courtrooms. If you have minor children, there is a free supervised waiting area available at the courthouse while you are in court. Kids Korner is for children aged 2 to 12, who are in the Lake County courthouse to testify in court or whose parents or guardians are conducting court business. Kids Korner is located within the courthouse on the first floor between Courtrooms C-103 and C-105 across from Court Administration.
7. Lake County Parenting Class: This is a mandatory class for all parents in cases which involve minor children. There is a fee to take this class. The fee is waived if the Court grants a Petition to Sue or Defend as an Indigent Person. Enrollment forms are located in each courtroom and at the Clerk’s Office. You may obtain the enrollment form on line at http://www.clcillinois.edu/programs-and-classes/court-programs . If you are prepared to pay for the class by credit card you may also enroll by phone at (847) 543-2185 or Fax (847) 543-2188.
8. Notary Public: Several of the papers described in this booklet require a notarized signature. Notarization can be obtained at most banks, currency exchanges or the Clerk’s Office.
9. Legal References: The following is a list of the laws and relevant rules pertaining to family cases:
- Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage Act: 750 ILCS 5/101 et seq.
- Illinois Parentage Act of 2015, 750 ILCS 45/1 et seq.
- Civil Union Act 750 ILCS 75/1 et seq.
- Local Court Rules of the Nineteenth Judicial Circuit
- Supreme Court Rules
The Statutes and the Supreme Court Rules can be located at the Lake County Law Library or at
The Illinois Marriage and Dissolution of Marriage act can be found at
The Local Court Rules can be found at the Lake County Law Library or online at http://www.19thcircuitcourt.state.il.us/1254/Local-Court-Rules