State of Illinois Seal
19th Judicial Circuit Court ofLake County, Illinois
Skip Navigation Links
For Attorneys
For Jurors
For Educators
For the Media
Site Map
Find it Quick  |  FAQ's  |  Our Organization  |  Services & Programs  |  Resources  |  Court Calendars

      Center for Self Representation

19th Judicial Circuit > Center for Self Representation > Process to waive Court Fees


Domestic Abuse

Mortgage Foreclosure

Simplified Divorce

Small Claims

Traffic Court

Other Topics

Court Forms

Process to request waiver of Court Fees

(Oprima aqui con el ratón para ver esta página en español)

The court recognizes that some people are not able to pay the court fees related to filing a claim.

To qualify for a waiver of these court fees, one of the following conditions should exist:

  1. You are receiving Public Aid or other public benefit;
  2. Your net income is 125% or less of the federal poverty level;
  3. Your income is over 125% of the federal poverty level, but your family and you will suffer serious hardship if you must pay the costs.

125% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines for 2015
(Figures are computed for the 48 Contiguous States & D.C.)

Family Size




































Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services,
             Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning & Evaluation

You may also be requested to provide the court the following information:

  • The amount and sources of your income; for example $339.00 per month in AFDC, supplemented by Food Stamps, Public Aid, Veteran Assistance, General Assistance from township.
  • Your income you had in the last year.
  • Any changes you expect your income  to go up or down, in either case you should list what you except your income to be in the future.
  • List of names and birthdays of your children and/or others you support financially.
  • Total value of your possessions.
  • Year and make of your cars.
  • Estimated value of your car.

The decision of whether to waive a filing fee lies with the judge. If you wish to ask the court to waive the filing fee, click here to complete the Petition and Order to Sue or Defend as an Indigent Person. 

     © 2015 Nineteenth Judicial Circuit Court. All rights reserved. | Privacy | Disclaimer | Site Map | Contact Us | Accessibility Accommodations Accessibility Accommodations